1) Our first sighting of Mt. Hood as residents of Portland today. We’d seen it before on visits, but it’s different seeing a mountain IN THE SAME PLACE THAT YOU LIVE! It was so exciting that I jumped up and down shouting, “Oh my god, there’s a mountain, I’m looking at a mountain right now!” instead of doing my co-pilot job while Barrett was driving. We missed our turn off. But I saw a mountain!
2) Super sunshiney today — the first day where there was sun all day long. It’s still a bit on the cold side here though. I’ve been wearing wool socks.
3) Another trip to Ikea, this time to get pretty much everything else a person could need to live from a couch to cutting boards. I had these big ideas about going to moving sales and finding deals different places and gradually building up our house, but that idea went out the window. For one thing, I’m not much of a shopper. I just want nice things to magically appear in my house, I don’t want to hunt for them and fight the crowds and have to remember what my other furniture looks like to see if it will go etc. and so on. I just wanted to get it all in one go. Also, I like being able to do important things like eat because we have dishes and lounge because we have a couch. Thank god for the van my dad lent us. It was tetris packed from floor to ceiling. All of this shopping at Ikea makes me think of this book. The couple outfitted their new house in France at Ikea, so really this is good practice for moving to France.
4) Twice now we’ve had lunch at this sushi place with the rotating sushi boat/conveyor belt thing. What a great idea — you get to try twice as many things!
5) One of the books I read on our trip out here earlier this week was Gail Carson Levine’s Ever. It was pretty good — I liked the whole young misfit god thing it had going on. Strangely, it reminded me more of Shannon Hale’s Book of a Thousand Days than Gail Carson Levine’s more famous books like Ella Enchanted. I think it had more of a mythic/fable-y feel to it.
6) My fortune cookie tonight said, “You will enjoy razor-sharp spiritual vision today.” I’m still waiting on this one.
Have a great weekend!